At Northern Hills Dental, we always look for conservative treatments that protect and save your natural teeth. It’s important to preserve healthy tooth structure, but in some cases, a tooth is just too damaged to save it using other procedures like a root canal.
The idea of losing a tooth can be upsetting, and combined with the thought of going through the procedure, having a tooth extracted can be intimidating. But you don’t have to worry – we’ll send you to Black Hills Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to make sure your experience is as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
Reasons for Tooth Extraction
There are a number of circumstances where we may recommend tooth extraction:
- A root canal infection is so severe that it can’t be resolved with traditional treatment.
- Severe decay has damaged tooth structure beyond repair.
- A wisdom tooth has erupted in an odd position and threatens the alignment of surrounding teeth.
- Improperly positioned teeth affect the alignment of surrounding teeth.
- We are preparing to place full or partial dentures.
- We are preparing a child’s mouth for orthodontic treatment.
We Put Your Comfort First
If we find that tooth extraction is needed, it’s important for you to follow through with your appointment at the oral surgeon's office. Remember that you’ll need a driver to get you to and from your appointment.
A simple extraction has a fairly short recovery time. Before you leave the oral surgeon's office, they’ll give you a list of after-care instructions that will promote faster healing. In general, we recommend that for a day or two after extraction you plan to eat soft foods, like yogurt and soups, that don’t require chewing. Avoid drinking through a straw because the sucking action increases your risk for bleeding and other complications.
Call to Get the Help You Need
If you’re concerned about the condition of your tooth please call us to schedule an examination. We offer emergency treatment, so please call our dental office if you’re in pain so we can get you the relief you need.